General David Blackshear made his headquarters here, and it was from Hartford in 1815 that he and his troops began their march to the Flint River, cutting the famous military road to that point. General Andrew Jackson with his army encamped at Hartford before starting their march to Fort Early in 1818. When the lands on the west side of the Ocmulgee River were acquired from the Indians, the high bluff on that side was considered a better site for a town, and many of the buildings of Old Hartford were torn down and transported across the river, to become a part of the new county seat, Hawkinsville.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #07 Andrew Jackson, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1809.
Location. 32° 16.917′ N, 83° 27.25′ W. Marker is near Hawkinsville, Georgia, in Pulaski County. Marker is on Broad Street (U.S. 129/341) 0.1 miles west of Georgia Route 26, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hawkinsville GA 31036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. De Soto Trail (approx. half a mile away); The 1812 Soldiers (approx. half a mile away); Federal Pursuit (approx. 0.6 miles away); To Our Confederate Soldiers (approx. 0.9 miles away); Slosheye Trail (approx. 0.9 miles away); Pulaski County (approx. 0.9 miles away); A $100,000 Reward (approx. 4 miles away); Bleckley County (approx. 9.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hawkinsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 803 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 16, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.