Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Georgetown Fire House and Old City Hall

 
 
Georgetown Fire House and Old City Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
1. Georgetown Fire House and Old City Hall Marker
Inscription.  

Designed by C.I. Belford and constructed in 1892 by C.W. Schell, this building originally housed the mayor's office, city council chambers, city jail, fire department, and the Georgetown Water Co. Over the years, it also has served as a meeting place for the Second Baptist Church and as chamber of commerce offices. The building, which features some Italianate detailing, is one of few remaining examples of 19th-century city hall-fire stations in Texas.
 
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13918.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureCharity & Public WorkChurches & ReligionIndustry & CommerceLaw Enforcement. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
 
Location. 30° 38.15′ N, 97° 40.62′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and E. 9th Street on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 816 S Main St, Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
this marker. Old Dimmitt Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Lesesne-Stone Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Founding of Georgetown (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Steele Store - Makemson Hotel Building (about 400 feet away); Ku Klux Klan Trials (about 400 feet away); George Washington Glasscock, Sr. (about 400 feet away); Williamson County (about 400 feet away); Williamson County Courthouse (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Also see . . .  Fire House Photos. More photos of the Fire House. (Submitted on June 27, 2008, by Wayne Ware of Georgetown, Texas.) 
 
Georgetown Fire House and Old City Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, July 7, 2018
2. Georgetown Fire House and Old City Hall Marker
Wide view of marker. Marker is attached to the building under and to the right of the tree in the center.
Georgetown Fire House and Old City Hall image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
3. Georgetown Fire House and Old City Hall
The marker is mounted to a column to the far left of the fire house, near the stairway going to a second floor entrance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 7, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,165 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 7, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   2. submitted on July 8, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   3. submitted on December 7, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=4035

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024