Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tuscaloosa in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Marr’s Spring

 
 
Marr’s Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim & Renda Carr, February 19, 2011
1. Marr’s Springs Marker
Inscription.  Part of Marr’s Field, on farmland owned by William Marr, this spring was a major factor in the selection of this site for the University of Alabama campus in 1827. From its opening in 1831 well into the 20th century, the institution relied upon Marr’s Spring as its principal water source. Water flowing from hillside crevices was collected in these brick cisterns and hauled in buckets to the rooms of students and throughout the campus. A dam for a swimming pond and bathhouse was constructed, supported by the spring and cisterns. By the mid-1880s, as the cisterns began to deteriorate, the University considered repairs until deciding, as the 1889 trustees’ minutes recorded, “it has always been considered doubtful whether the plunging and swimming in the very cold water so directly from the spring is conducive to health.” A 1955 survey found that Marr’s Spring yielded 100 gallons of good, clear odorless water per minute. The cisterns were renovated in 2010 in an effort to restore the original beauty of this University of Alabama historical landmark.
 
Erected 2010 by Alabama Historical Association
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Natural Features. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1827.
 
Location. 33° 12.837′ N, 87° 32.902′ W. Marker is in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, in Tuscaloosa County. Marker can be reached from Marrs Spring Road south of Campus Drive East, on the left when traveling south. Located on the Campus of the University of Alabama. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tuscaloosa AL 35487, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. B.B. Comer Hall, 1908 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Morgan Hall, 1910 (about 600 feet away); The Gorgas-Manly Historic District (about 600 feet away); Gorgas House (about 700 feet away); Woods Hall, 1868 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oliver-Barnard Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site Of Franklin Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Little Round House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuscaloosa.
 
Marr’s Spring Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim & Renda Carr, February 19, 2011
2. Marr’s Spring Marker
Marr’s Spring and Cisterns image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim & Renda Carr, February 19, 2011
3. Marr’s Spring and Cisterns
Marr’s Spring Pool Side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim & Renda Carr
4. Marr’s Spring Pool Side
Marr’s Spring Cistern image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim & Renda Carr
5. Marr’s Spring Cistern
Marr’s Spring image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim & Renda Carr
6. Marr’s Spring
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 20, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,489 times since then and 120 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 20, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=40388

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 12, 2024