Zion National Park in Washington County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Cables from the Rim
Barely visible on the canyon rim are the ruins of a cableworks from the early 1900s. Mormon pioneers in the Zion area needed lumber for construction, but the good timber - ponderosa pine - was out of reach on the mesa above. Settlers had to haul lumber by wagon from as far away as Arizona's Kaibab Forest, a two-week trip.
In 1900 Springdale resident David Flanigan began looping 50,000 feet of telegraph wire through a series of drums and pulleys in the cableworks above and down to a second framework on the mound behind you.
When the cable system was completed, boards could travel down from the clifftop in 2½ minutes - not two weeks. With the cable operation modern building began in Zion. The park's original lodge and cabins, and many of the buildings in Springdale, made use of lumber lowered from the canyon rim.
Erected by National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Springdale UT 84767, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Zion Mt. Carmel Tunnel and Highway, Utah (approx. 4.2 miles away); Stephen Tyng Mather (approx. 4.9 miles away); Original Inhabitants / Living Traditions (approx. 5.6 miles away); Westward Expansion (approx. 5.6 miles away); Promised Land (approx. 5.6 miles away); Birth of a Park (approx. 5.6 miles away); Discovery of Zion Canyon (approx. 6.6 miles away); Rockville Bridge (approx. 9˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Zion National Park.
Also see . . . Zion National Park. (Submitted on February 21, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 21, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 568 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on February 21, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.