Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
1300-1304 East Cary Street
This handsomely detailed building erected on a site which extends into the intersection, appears to form a cornerstone for the entire historic district. Built in 1869, its stacked classical ornament is typical of the post Civil War period; and its facade is the most ambitious in the area.
Adhering to its historic usage, the renovated structure now accommodates a street-level restaurant with corporate offices above.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
Location. 37° 32.119′ N, 77° 26.017′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East Cary Street (Virginia Route 147) and South 13th Street, on the left when traveling east on East Cary Street. Located on the west side of the building entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1302 East Cary Street, Richmond VA 23219, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this Columbian Block (a few steps from this marker); Commercial Block (a few steps from this marker); Bowers Brothers Coffee and Tea Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Powers-Taylor Building (within shouting distance of this marker); 1200 Block East Cary Street (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Telephone Exchange South of the Potomac River (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1201 East Cary Street (about 300 feet away); Black Hawk (1767-1838) (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
More about this marker. On top is an early photograph of the block courtesy of the Valentine Museum.
Also see . . . Historic Shockoe Slip, Richmond. (Submitted on March 5, 2011.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 752 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.