Elizabeth in Union County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Site of Princeton University
marks the first
site of Princeton
incorporated Oct 22nd 1746
Erected by the Elizabeth
Members of the New Jersey
Society of Colonial Dames
of America – Oct
Erected 1897 by New Jersey
Society of Colonial Dames of America.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames of America, National Society of series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1746.
Location. 40° 39.81′ N, 74° 12.912′ W. Marker is in Elizabeth, New Jersey, in Union County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street (Route 623) and Caldwell Place, on the right when traveling south on Broad Street. Marker is on the front of the First Presbyterian Parish House. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elizabeth NJ 07201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church Burial Grounds and Elizabethtown Academy (a few steps from this marker); Old Academy (a few steps from this marker); Patriotic Dead (within shouting distance of this marker); Elizabeth Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church of Elizabeth (about 300 feet away); Colonial Church (about 400 feet away); Old Borough Court House (about 400 feet away); Revolutionary Cannon (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elizabeth.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 6, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 676 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 6, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.