Central Ward in Newark in Essex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Settlers of Newark
upon this church
the oldest of all our
in memory of
the first settlers
“Ye town upon ye Pesayak”
Erected by the Newark
members of the New Jersey
Society of Colonial
Dames of America • 1902
Erected 1902 by Society of Colonial Dames of America.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames of America, National Society of series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1666.
Location. 40° 44.06′ N, 74° 10.352′ W. Marker is in Newark, New Jersey, in Essex County. It is in the Central Ward. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street and Branford Place, on the right when traveling north on Broad Street. Marker is on the right fron of the Old First Presbyterian Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 820 Broad Street, Newark NJ 07104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Newark Covenant (a few steps from this marker); “Old First” (a few steps from this marker); Revolutionary War Soldiers and Patriots Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Newark Female Charitable Society (approx. ¼ mile away); This Liberty Pole (approx. ¼ mile away); Elisha Boudinot and General Lafayette (approx. ¼ mile away); First School Safety Patrol in America (approx. ¼ mile away); Historic Site-Grace Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 16, 2023. It was originally submitted on March 12, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,061 times since then and 140 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 12, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.