Oakland in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Designed and built by Lt. John Dahlgren at the Naval Gun Factory, Washington, D.C., year 1850. A nine inch gun weighing approximately 9,000 lbs., capable of shooting a projectile of 150 lbs. Used throughout the Civil War by the North and for some years later were the principal armament of American Naval Power. Principally used as a deck gun on Plymouth class Sloop-of-War vessels.
Location. 41° 1.403′ N, 74° 14.616′ W. Marker is in Oakland, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of Ramapo Valley Road (New Jersey Route 202) and Oak Street, on the right when traveling south on Ramapo Valley Road. Marker is at the north end of Veterans Park in Oakland. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oakland NJ 07436, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oakland (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jacobus S. Demarest House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hendrik Van Allen House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hendrick Van Allen House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ackerman-Boyd House Franklin Avenue (approx. 2 miles away); Franklin Lakes United Methodist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Bartholf Homestead (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
Also see . . .
1. Biography of John Dahlgren, inventor of the Dahlgren Gun. (Submitted on March 17, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. John Dahlgren (1809-1870). (Submitted on March 17, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Dahlgren Gun.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 17, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 972 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 17, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.