Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erected 1972 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 17.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Science & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
Location. 43° 3.851′ N, 89° 24.257′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker can be reached from Chandler Street near South Mills Street, on the right when traveling east. The marker is in the ground by the sidewalk in front of the house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 302 South Mills Street, Madison WI 53715, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least Longfellow School (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Greenbush (approx. 0.2 miles away); Edward Klief Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Italian Workmen's Club (approx. Ό mile away); a different marker also named The Greenbush (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bear (approx. 0.3 miles away); Spirit of Greenbush (approx. 0.4 miles away); Indian Mounds (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Bowen House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "This Italianate farmhouse was built on a 60-acre parcel for Seth and Harriet Van Bergen in 1855. Both Van Bergens were early pioneers. Harriet settled with her family in Jefferson County in 1838 and Seth arrived in Madison in 1842. Four years after they moved into their stone farmhouse, the Van Bergens sold the farm to Dr. James and Susan Bowen. Dr. Bowen was the first homeopathic physician in Madison, founded a leading Madison bank, and served as Madison's mayor in 1871. He died in 1881 and his daughter, Susan, and her husband, Wayne Ramsey, moved into the farmhouse. The house remained in the family until 1923. During the time the Ramseys owned the house, new housing developments sprang up all around the farm and soon they had sold off all but the immediate surrounding lot. The family donated the
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 18, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,302 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 18, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.