Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Knoxville in Knox County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Chisholm Tavern

 
 
Chisholm Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Laura Troy, November 23, 2007
1. Chisholm Tavern Marker
Inscription.  
Near here
Historic Chisholm Tavern
Erected 1790's
Sheltered many important
pioneers and explorers
who assisted in the founding
of the city of Knoxville
and in the establishing of
the State of Tennessee

 
Erected 1965 by members Blount Park Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 35° 57.691′ N, 83° 54.863′ W. Marker is in Knoxville, Tennessee, in Knox County. Marker is on W Hill Ave east of State St, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Knoxville TN 37902, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chisolm's Tavern (a few steps from this marker); Blount Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); Roy Acuff & Hank Williams (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Andrew Johnson Office Plaza (about 500 feet away); C. Kermit "Buck" Ewing
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 500 feet away); Commemorating the Treaty of Holston (about 500 feet away); Signing of the Treaty of Holston (about 600 feet away); Knoxville (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Knoxville.
 
Also see . . .  Stop Thirteen: John Chisholm's Tavern - Knoxville 1793 Historic Walking Tour. Pocket Sights website entry (Submitted on March 8, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
Additional commentary.
1. History and Architecture
This was the home of Captain John Chisholm, who came to White’s Fort in 1790 with Governor Blount. Chisholm bought a half-acre lot on Front Street and built his home there in 1792. It is believed that the architect of the Blount Mansion designed this tavern. It is situated in the same block as the Blount House and very much resembles it in details and construction. Perhaps, after his services to Governor Blount, the architect was retained in this wilderness town long enough to execute Mr. Chisholm’s tavern, the first hotel in Knoxville and now occupied by slum tenants.

The two storey frame house was built on a steep slope. At each gable end and on the kitchen
Historical Photograph - West View of "Chisholm Tavern" image. Click for more information.
R.J. Crisco, Historic American Buildings Survey, circa April 23, 1934
2. Historical Photograph - West View of "Chisholm Tavern"
This structure, though identified by an attached marker, may not be the original Chisholm Tavern.
Click for more information.
“ell” are brick chimneys of the freestanding variety. The interior is typically of the Revolutionary Period: Sunburst mantel in the tavern room, cupboards with scrolled shelves in the dining room, and dog-eared trim throughout the house. The triangular space below the main stairs is paneled with radiating rails.

Please note: According to Ron Allen's research at the provided link, the historical pictures and this information are not actually about Chisholm Tavern. They are included here as historical record and information. Note To Editor only visible by Contributor and editor    
    — Submitted December 11, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
 
Historical Photograph - Southwest View of Chisholm Tavern image. Click for more information.
R.J. Crisco, Historic American Buildings Survey, April 23, 1934
3. Historical Photograph - Southwest View of Chisholm Tavern
This structure, though identified by an attached marker, may not be the original Chisholm Tavern.
Click for more information.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 8, 2022. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,631 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 10, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia.   2, 3. submitted on December 11, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=4108

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024