Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Exeter in Rockingham County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Site of the First Mill At Falls of the Squamscott River

 
 
Site of the First Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, March 25, 2011
1. Site of the First Mill Marker
Inscription.  A grist mill built by Thomas Wilson in 1640. The island and site were granted to him by the town which reserved the right for canoe landing and the laying of fish. Wilson’s Creek flows on the easterly side.
 
Erected by Town of Exeter, New Hampshire.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1640.
 
Location. 42° 58.91′ N, 70° 56.741′ W. Marker is in Exeter, New Hampshire, in Rockingham County. Marker is on String Bridge, on the right when traveling south. Marker is on the west side of the bridge, which joins Chestnut and Water Streets. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Exeter NH 03833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Folsom Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary Capital (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Exeter NH War Memorial (about 400 feet away); Abraham Lincoln Speaks in New Hampshire (about 400 feet away); Exeter Town House (about 600 feet away); Ladd-Gilman House
Wider View of Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, March 25, 2011
2. Wider View of Marker
Seen through the branches, behind and below the marker, are the Squamscott River rapids that powered the mill.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Powder House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Exeter NH Exeter Gas Works (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Exeter.
 
Also see . . .  Mill description. The mill is mentioned on page 317 of the History of the Town of Exeter, New Hampshire by Charles Henry Bell (Exeter, 1888). (Submitted on March 26, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts.) 
 
Squamscott River image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, March 25, 2011
3. Squamscott River
On the other side of String Bridge from the marker is this better view (looking southeast) of the Squamscott River rapids, originally called Wilson’s Creek.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 757 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 26, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=41156

Paid Advertisement
Nov. 28, 2021