Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Birmingham Township in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Birmingham Friends Meeting House

 
 
Birmingham Friends Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, May 31, 2008
1. Birmingham Friends Meeting House Marker
Inscription.  
Erected in 1763
Used as a hospital after
The Battle of Brandywine
September 11, 1777

 
Erected 1915 by Pennsylvania Historical Commission and the Chester and Delaware County Historical Societies.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionScience & MedicineWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, and the Quakerism ⛪ series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1777.
 
Location. 39° 54.339′ N, 75° 35.677′ W. Marker is in Birmingham Township, Pennsylvania, in Chester County. Marker is on Birmingham Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is on the grounds of the Birmingham Meeting House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1245 Birmingham Rd, West Chester PA 19382, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Friends School at Birmingham Meeting House (here, next to this marker); On This Native Stone (a few steps from this marker); First Defense Line
Birmingham Friends Meeting House image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, May 31, 2008
2. Birmingham Friends Meeting House
Note the stone steps for boarding a carriage.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); The Peace Garden at Birmingham (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen's Lafayette and Pulaski (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of Those Who Fell (within shouting distance of this marker); Birmingham Hill (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Brandywine (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Birmingham Township.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .
1. Dr. William Darlington. (Submitted on March 30, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
2. Birmingham Friends Meeting House - Behind the Marker. ExplorePAHistory.com (Submitted on July 14, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.) 
 
Birmingham Friends Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, March 29, 2011
3. Birmingham Friends Meeting House Marker
The Old Birmingham Meeting House<br> used as a hospital<br> during<br> The Battle of Brandywine image. Click for full size.
Internet Archive, circa 1893
4. The Old Birmingham Meeting House
used as a hospital
during
The Battle of Brandywine
by Walter F. Price, 1893, in The Great American Book of Biography, International Publishing, 1896.
Birmingham-Laffette Cemetery Wall image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, March 29, 2011
5. Birmingham-Laffette Cemetery Wall
Note two of the three markers at this site are visible.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,075 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on March 30, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 8, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   3. submitted on March 30, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.   4. submitted on April 10, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   5. submitted on March 30, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=41301

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2021