Port Clinton in Ottawa County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Indian Mill Stone
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Native Americans.
Location. 41° 30.711′ N, 82° 56.244′ W. Marker is in Port Clinton, Ohio, in Ottawa County. Marker is at the intersection of East 2nd Street and Adams Street, on the right when traveling east on East 2nd Street. This historical marker is located on the eastern edge of the downtown area, a block south of the roadway that runs east to west along the Lake Erie shoreline. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Clinton OH 43452, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ottawa County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ottawa County Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); American Expedition 1813 (approx. ¼ mile away); War of 1812 (approx. ¼ mile away); Port Clinton Light Station (approx. End of Harrison's Trail In Ohio - War of 1812 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Port Clinton Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fort Sites / De Lery Portage / French Expedition 1754 (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Clinton.
More about this marker. The Indian Mill Stone, that is the focus of this historical marker, was originally located about 1.7 miles to the southeast, at the southern end of what was the DeLery Portage, near the site of what was old Fort Sandoski. It was later moved to its present location.
The DeLery Portage was at the northern end of the Sandusky - Scioto Trail, running across the base of the Marblehead Peninsula, between Lake Erie (at the mouth of the Portage River) and the Sandusky Bay.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 31, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 897 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 2, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.