Richmond in Wayne County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Named for John Sailor, Richmond's first mayor after incorporation in 1840.
As taverns required a back entrance on a street, this alley north of Main, from 7th to 11th, was named Sailor Street.
This site is where the Starr House, noted hotel and tavern built in 1838, later known as Meredith (Merideth) House, then Tremont House, stood until 1870.
Erected 1972 by Heritage Club.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
Location. 39° 49.773′ N, 84° 53.486′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Indiana, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of 8th Street and Sailor Street, on the left when traveling south on 8th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 27 North 8th Street, Richmond IN 47374, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. C. Francis Jenkins (within shouting distance of this marker); Mendenhall-Clay Debate / Confrontation (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Freedom Fountain1968 Downtown Richmond Explosion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Korean War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wayne Township World War II Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Camp Wayne (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 532 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 6, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.