Harrisonburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Home and Hospital
This was the home of Edward T.H. Warren, a Harrisonburg attorney. As a lieutenant in the Valley Guards, a Rockingham County militia company, Warren attended the trial and execution of John Brown in Charles Town (in present-day West Virginia) in 1859. Warren was elected a town councilman in 1860, but soon left for the war. His former militia unit became Co. G in the 10th Virginia Infantry, which he helped form. He was commissioned lieutenant colonel on July 1, 1861, and commanded the regiment after Col. Simeon B. Gibbons was killed at the Battle of McDowell on May 8, 1862.
Warren led the regiment through some fierce battles in which the Army of Northern Virginia engaged in Virginia,, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. They include Port Republic, the Seven Days’ Battles around Richmond, the Second Battle of Manassas, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Second Battle of Winchester, Gettysburg, and the Wilderness. Warren was seriously wounded during the Battle of Chancellorsville on May 2, 1863, while commanding a brigade that included the 10th Virginia. He was killed in action a year later on May 5, 1864, at the Wilderness. Warren is buried
In July 1863, Confederate soldiers wounded at Gettysburg filled Harrisonburg’s general hospital as well as private homes. The Warren family cared for Confederate artillerist Joseph W. Latimer, the “Boy Major,” whose arm had been amputated. A Virginia Military Institute cadet who studied artillery tactics under Professor Thomas J. Jackson, Latimer enlisted in 1862 at age 18, was appointed lieutenant in the Courtney Battery, and by April 1863, had been promoted to major. He died here of gangrene on August 1, 1863, aged 19. He is buried at Woodbine Cemetery.
Erected by Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation & Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails series list.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 38° 26.806′ N, 78° 52.162′ W. Marker was in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Marker was on South Main Street (Business U.S. 11), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Harrisonburg VA 22801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named Warren-Sipe House (here, next to this marker); Hardesty-Higgins House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Harrisonburg Downtown Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate General Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); Bishop Francis Asbury (within shouting distance of this marker); McNeill’s Rangers (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charlotte Harris Lynched, 6 March 1878 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Big Spring (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisonburg.
More about this marker. In the lower left is a photo of the 10th Virginia Infantry regimental flag. Courtesy Harrisonburg Historical Society In the upper center is another photo of the 10th Virginia Infantry regimental flag captured at the First Battle of Manassas, July 21, 1861. Courtesy Manassas National Battlefield Park. On the right is a portrait of "Joseph W. Latimer," by William D. Washington, ca. 1863-1870. Courtesy Virginia Military Institute.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has been replaced by the linked marker. It includes a correction on the year that George E. Sipe purchased the house.
Also see . . . History of the Warren-Sipe House. The Virginia Quilt Museum, which now occupies the building, has published a history of the house. (Submitted on January 14, 2012, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 26, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,067 times since then and 72 times this year. Last updated on April 7, 2011, by Jonathan Carruthers of Bealeton, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 26, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.