Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Macon in Jones County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Pitts Chapel

 
 
Pitts Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
1. Pitts Chapel Marker
Inscription.  The first record of Pitts Chapel dates back to October 13, 1860 when three and three-fourths acres of land was purchased from James Wells for $130 for the purpose of erecting a Methodist Episcopal Church. Upon this land was erected the largest and finest church of that time in Jones County. This church located at the Cross Roads in the southern part of the county was named Pitts Chapel for Peyton T. Pitts, Sr. who built it of his own means, and who was its main support until his death on July 1, 1885. The original frame building is of choice material and shows the skill and workmanship of Owen Bostic, master carpenter and slave. Several additions have been added through the years. In 1864, Pitts Chapel was commandeered by the Union Army as an advanced surgical hospital. The first trustees were Peyton T. Pitts, Sr., Thomas J. Stewart, Albert O. Blanks, Washington Kelly, and Giles Griswold.
 
Erected by Jones County History and Heritage.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionWar, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1861.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
32° 55.717′ N, 83° 30′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Jones County. Marker is on Pitts Chapel Road, 0.2 miles south of Georgia Route 49, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 132 Pitts Chapel Road, Macon GA 31217, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The 15th Corps (approx. 0.2 miles away); Griswoldville (approx. 4 miles away); Confederate Pistol Factory (approx. 4 miles away); Battle of Griswoldville The Advance from East Macon (approx. 4 miles away); Battle of Griswoldville (approx. 4 miles away); a different marker also named Griswoldville (approx. 4 miles away); Battle of Griswoldville The Deployment and Assaults (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Cavalry Skirmish (approx. 4.6 miles away).
 
Pitts Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
2. Pitts Chapel Marker
Pitts Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
3. Pitts Chapel Marker
Looking north toward Georgia Highway 49
Pitts Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
4. Pitts Chapel Marker
Looking south, at the entrance to a large kaolin mining operation
Pitts Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
5. Pitts Chapel Marker
The marker and Pitts Chapel
Pitts Chapel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
6. Pitts Chapel
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 910 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 9, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=41560

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024