Athens in Limestone County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Fort Henderson / Trinity School - 1865-1970
Built on this site in 1863 by federal forces occupying Athens. It was a five-sided earthen fort with some frame buildings and underground bomb-proofs. Abatis lined the fifteen-foot deep perimeter ditch, a small portion of which is still visible. On September 24, 1864 after a brief fight and a clever ruse orchestrated by Confederate General Nathan B. Forrest, the fort and its 900 man garrison of mostly the 110th U.S. colored infantry were surrendered. After moving the prisoners and captured supplies South, Forrest's campaign followed the railroad North to the Union fort at Sulphur Creek Trestle which he took the following day. Federals re-occupied Athens shortly after Forrest's departure.
Established by the American Missionary Association of New York in 1865, Trinity was one of many schools set up in the South to educate the children of freed slaves. Originally located east of the railroad, it was moved here, to the site of Ft. Henderson in 1907. It was re-built several times; having burned twice in the first location and once here. Through the dedication of its principals and teachers,
Erected 2002 by Limestone Co. Historical Society & Athens-Limestone Tourism Council.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education • Forts or Castles • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities series list.
Location. 34° 47.841′ N, 86° 58.761′ W. Marker is in Athens, Alabama, in Limestone County. Marker is on Browns Ferry Street (County Road 29) west of Allyn Street, on the right when traveling west. Located in the parking lot of Trinity Congregational Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 Browns Ferry Street, Athens AL 35611, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Coleman Family (approx. ¼ mile away); Governor George S. Houston Home (approx. half a mile away); Athens Sacked and Plundered (approx. half a mile away); Athens First Presbyterian Church Courthouse and Poor Farm Fence (approx. 0.6 miles away); James Edwin Horton, Jr. (approx. 0.6 miles away); Athens, Alabama (approx. 0.6 miles away); A County Older Than the State (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Henderson Historic Site & Trinity H.S. (Submitted on April 17, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.)
2. another local news article. (Submitted on April 17, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2017. It was originally submitted on April 17, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,586 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on April 17, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.