Historic District - North in Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
(1708 – 1788)
Erected 2011 by Georgia Historical Society and the Savannah Town Committee of the National Society of Colonial Dames of America in Georgia. (Marker Number 25-38.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, and the The Colonial Dames of America, National Society of series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1733.
Location. 32° 4.875′ N, 81° 5.738′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. It is in the Historic District - North. Marker is on Montgomery Street near W. Bryan Street, on the left when traveling north. Located at Franklin Square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Haitian Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); First African Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The First African Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); John Ryan's Excelsior Bottle Works (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First Act of Alcohol Prohibition in America (about 400 feet away); Evacuation of Savannah (about 400 feet away); William Scarbrough HouseJohn Herndon “Johnny” Mercer (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2023. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,569 times since then and 107 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 19, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.