Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The First Telephone Exchange South of the Potomac River
of the Potomac River opened
at this site April 1, 1879
1219 E. Main Street
Old Dominion Chapter
Telephone Pioneers of America
C.&P. Telephone Co. of Va.
Erected 1979 by Telephone Pioneers of America.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1793.
Location. 37° 32.168′ N, 77° 25.99′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of South 13th Street and East Main Street (U.S. 60), on the right when traveling south on South 13th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1219 East Main Street, Richmond VA 23219, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Black Hawk (1767-1838) (within shouting distance of this marker); Powers-Taylor Building (within shouting distance of this marker); 1300-1304 East Cary Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1200 Block East Cary Street (about 300 feet away); Commercial BlockColumbian Block (about 400 feet away); 1201 East Cary Street (about 500 feet away); Bowers Brothers Coffee and Tea Building (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 472 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.