Black Earth in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Patrons' Mercantile Co-op
Oldest Cooperative in the Nation
The store opened April 9, 1894 in a rented building. In 1897, the business moved to this site. Fire destroyed the old store in February, 1933. Rebuilt by November, "The Store" operated here until 1994.
The Co-op's purpose has always prevailed: "Ownership by the patrons and affordable products."
Erected 1994 by the Dane County Historical Society. (Marker Number 30.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Dane County Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1933.
Location. 43° 8.289′ N, 89° 44.886′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1202 Mills Street, Black Earth WI 53515, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Vermont Creek (approx. 1.9 miles away); Old Halfway Prairie (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Train Wreck of 1906 (approx. 3.3 miles away); Festge Park (approx. 3.4 miles away); Lynch and Walker Flouring Mill (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Turntable, The Engine House, The Water Tower (approx. 3.4 miles away); Crescent Street Factories, Mazomanie Blacksmiths, Coal Buildings (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Railroad in Mazomanie (approx. 3.4 miles away).
Also see . . . The History of Cooperatives in Wisconsin. From the Wisconsin Stories web site of Wisconsin Public Television: "The oldest continuous co-op in Wisconsin is Premier Co-op, a farm supply cooperative headquartered in Mount Horeb. Founded in 1893 as Patrons Mercantile Cooperative of Black Earth, it merged with Mount Horeb Farmers Co-op and changed its name to Premier in March 2000." (Submitted on April 24, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 24, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,156 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 24, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.