Americus in Sumter County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Charles Frederick Crisp (1845-1896), Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, built this house in the 1880’s. A native of England and a veteran of service with the Confederate States Army, he had a distinguished career as judge of the Southwestern Judicial Circuit and as a member of Congress. He was elected to the U.S. Senate a short time before his death, but did not live to take the oath of office. His son, Charles Robert Crisp (1870-1937), received an interim appointment to fill his father’s seat in the House of Representatives and was later elected in his own right.
Erected 1960 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 129-5.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 32° 4.116′ N, 84° 13.739′ W. Marker is in Americus, Georgia, in Sumter County. Marker is on Taylor Street, 0.1 miles east of Lee Street (Georgia Route Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 139 Taylor Street, Americus GA 31709, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Calvary Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Federal Headquarters (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rees Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sumter County Courthouse Bell (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Prather Clinic (approx. 0.3 miles away); Founders Memorial Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); The First Presbyterian Church of Americus (approx. 0.4 miles away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Americus.
Also see . . . Charles Crisp (1845-1896). New Georgia Encyclopedia website entry (Submitted on April 28, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 494 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 25, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.