Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marble Canyon in Coconino County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Lee's Ferry

 
 
Lee's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jack Duffy, April 25, 2011
1. Lee's Ferry Marker
Inscription.  John D. Lee settled here in Dec. 1872 and established ferry service thirteen months later. After her husband's death, Warren M. Johnson ran the oar-driven ferry for Emma Lee, 1875 to 1879, when the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints purchased her interest. Johnson served until 1895. He was followed by James S. Emett who sold to the Grand Canyon Cattle Company in 1909. Coconino County operated the ferry from 1910 to 1928.
 
Erected 1968 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 350.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionIndustry & CommerceRoads & VehiclesWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1872.
 
Location. 36° 52.004′ N, 111° 35.122′ W. Marker is in Marble Canyon, Arizona, in Coconino County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 89A at milepost 539. Turn near Marble Canyon Lodge on US Highway 89A. There's a sign directing one toward "Lee's Ferry."
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Go to the end of Lee's Ferry Road and park in the parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marble Canyon AZ 86036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Lees Ferry (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles H. Spencer “Paddlewheel” Steamboat (approx. 0.3 miles away); Navajo Bridge (approx. 4.2 miles away); Navajo Bridge Erection Toggle Screw / Navajo Bridge (approx. 4.2 miles away); Lewis Nez (approx. 4.2 miles away); John Deering (approx. 4.2 miles away); a different marker also named Navajo Bridge (approx. 4.3 miles away); Lafe McDaniel (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marble Canyon.
 
More about this marker. You must walk from the parking lot to see the marker near the abandoned fort.
 
Also see . . .  Lee's Ferry National Historic Site. The National Park Service information on the historic site. (Submitted on April 27, 2011.) 
 
Lee's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jack Duffy, April 25, 2011
2. Lee's Ferry Marker
Lee's Ferry Buildings Site image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jack Duffy, April 25, 2011
3. Lee's Ferry Buildings Site
The marker is between these two buildings.
Lee's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, May 17, 2016
4. Lee's Ferry Marker
Pioneer Ferry Site image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, May 17, 2016
5. Pioneer Ferry Site
This is the location where the Mormon pioneers crossed the river in the 1870s and 1880s. It is directly south of the marker and, about 500 feet north of the current boat ramp.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2011, by Jack Duffy of West Jordan, Utah. This page has been viewed 1,056 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 26, 2011, by Jack Duffy of West Jordan, Utah.   4, 5. submitted on May 26, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=41997

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024