Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Parker in Bay County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Site of Loftin's Ferry

 
 
Site of Loftin's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul F, April 27, 2011
1. Site of Loftin's Ferry Marker
East side of two-sided marker.
Inscription.  Loftin’s Ferry, on Pitts Avenue, which later became Parker, was an important part of the major land route called the “Military Road” that ran from Apalachicola through St. Joseph to Marianna and beyond. This road, constructed from 1836 to 1838 under Major J.D. Graham, was the only land link to the City of St. Joseph, bringing travelers, mail and commerce from the north. In 1838, dignitaries attending Florida’s first constitutional convention traveled by stage on this road. The site, originally known as Reviere’s Bluff, was named after early settler Henry L. Reviere (1785-1845). By 1835 it became a ferry crossing and accommodation stop operated by William M. Loftin (1785-1838). Loftin had been sheriff and tax collector of Jackson County (1823) and in 1836 became a surveyor and revenue inspector for the Port of St. Andrews. About this time, Loftin, Reviere and Joseph M. White (d. 1839), Florida's first territorial delegate to Congress (1825-1837), developed and named this community “Austerlitz” after the French village where Reviere’s family lived. The name “Parker” was adopted in 1886 to honor the two separate
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
families of Peter Ferdinand Parker (1817-1892) and William Henry Parker (1857-1937).
 
Erected 2001 by City of Parker and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-459.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
 
Location. 30° 7.692′ N, 85° 36.648′ W. Marker is in Parker, Florida, in Bay County. Marker is on Pitts Avenue, 0.1 miles south of Aster Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located at the bend in the road where Pitts Avenue turns east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Panama City FL 32404, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Callaway One-Room School House (approx. 2½ miles away); Woman’s Club of Panama City (approx. 3 miles away); L.D. and Kate Harmon House (approx. 3 miles away); Kelly-Howell Home (approx. 3.1 miles away); Miss Maggie’s Store (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Farley – Harmon House (approx. 3.1 miles away); McKenzie Pickens Home (approx. 3.1 miles away); Miles and Nora Harmon House (approx. 3.1 miles away).
 
Site of Loftin's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul F, April 27, 2011
2. Site of Loftin's Ferry Marker
West side of two-sided marker.
Site of Loftin's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul F, April 27, 2011
3. Site of Loftin's Ferry Marker
Looking out to the bay.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 2, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,786 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 2, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=42114

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024