Fort Mill in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
To the Faithful Slaves
the faithful slaves
who, loyal to a sacred trust,
toiled for the support
of the army with matchless
devotion and sterling
fidelity [and] guarded our defenseless
homes, women and children during
the struggle for the principles
of our "Confederate States of
Erected by Sam'l E. White
in grateful memory of earlier
days. With approval of the
Among the many faithful:
Nelson White - Anthony White
Sandy White - Jim White
Warren White - Henry White
Silas White - Nathan Springs
Handy White - Solomon Spratt
Erected 1895 by Samuel E. White and the Jefferson Davis Memorial Association.
Topics. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • War, US Civil.
Location. 35° 0.46′ N, 80° 56.691′ W. Marker is in Fort Mill, South Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Mill SC 29715, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Catawba Indian Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Women of the Confederacy Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Fort Mill Confederate Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Confederate Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Unity Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); World War I Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jefferson Davis's Flight South, April 26-27, 1865 (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Mill.
1. Faithful Slaves Monument
The third monument, also erected in 1895 in Fort Mill's Confederate Park, commemorates the faithful slaves of wartime. The thirteen-foot monument rests on a marble base, which is supported by four steps of masonry. The square shaft is a tapering obelisk of pure white marble. It is a tribute to the "faithfulness of the Southern negro to the women and children of the South during the war...probably the only one of its kind in the South." Samuel Elliott White purchased and unveiled this monument on May 10, 1900. John McKee
(Source: A Guide to Confederate Monuments in South Carolina: "Passing the Silent Cup" by Robert S. Seigler (1997), pgs 338.)
— Submitted January 9, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 25, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 22,388 times since then and 8,306 times this year. Last updated on May 6, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 25, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.