Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pennsboro in Ritchie County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

The Stone House

 
 
The Stone House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, April 17, 2011
1. The Stone House Marker
Inscription.  The Webster House, now known as The Stone House, was built shortly after 1800. The walls of the house are two feet thick, constructed of flagstones of various shapes and sizes held together by cement and mortar. John Webster, the builder, sold it to James Martin in 1815. It remained in the Martin family until 1908 when it was sold to A. J. Ireland. In 1820, the first post office in Ritchie County was located in The Stone House and James Martin became the county’s first post master. For many years the only house between Clarksburg and the Parkersburg-Marietta area, it served as a stagecoach inn. Horses were kept there for exchange on the trip.
 
Erected 1975 by the West Virginia Department of Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsRoads & Vehicles
The Stone House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, April 17, 2011
2. The Stone House Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1800.
 
Location. 39° 17.076′ N, 80° 58.314′ W. Marker is in Pennsboro, West Virginia, in Ritchie County. Marker is on West Myles Avenue / Old U.S. 50 (Local Route 50/36) west of Main Street (West Virginia Route 74), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pennsboro WV 26415, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pennsboro (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pennsboro B&O Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harrisville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Doddridge County / Ritchie County (approx. 3.4 miles away); Romeo H. Freer (approx. 6.1 miles away); Harrisville / Thomas Maley Harris (approx. 6.1 miles away); Ritchie County Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.7 miles away); a different marker also named Harrisville (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pennsboro.
 
The Stone House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, April 17, 2011
3. The Stone House and Marker
An additional Stone House Bicentennial Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By TeamOHE, December 26, 2021
4. An additional Stone House Bicentennial Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 8, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 606 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 8, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   4. submitted on January 6, 2022, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=42239

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 13, 2022