Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Carferry SS Milwaukee
— Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails —
Type: railroad carferry, steel hull
Built: 1903, American Shipbuilding Co., Cleveland, Ohio
Sank: October 22, 1929 Lives Lost: 40-50
Length: 388’ Beam: 56’
Cargo: train cars (loaded), tubs, mixed freight, 3 automobiles
Propulsion: triple expansion steam engine, twin screw (propeller)
Depth of wreckage: 125’
The 338-foot railroad carferry SS Milwaukee was launched as the Manistique Marquette and Northern #1 in 1903. She was designed by the famed marine architect Robert Logan and built in Cleveland by the American Shipbuilding Company.
Acquired by the Grand Trunk Railroad in 1908, the Milwaukee shuttled freight cars between her namesake city and Grand Haven, Mich. Shipping freight cars across Lake Michigan bypassed the chokepoint of Chicago, sparing railroads time and expense. Carferries were the only ships on the Great Lakes built to operate year-round, and their crews were admired by vessel operators the world over for their rugged efficiency.
Powered by twin steam engines, the SS Milwaukee could carry 25 to 30 loaded boxcars in her cavernous hold. She served her owners faithfully
SS Milwaukee, October 29, 6:60 p.m.
“The ship is taking water fast. We have turned around and headed for Milwaukee. Pumps are working by sea gate is bent in and won’t keep the water out. Flicker is flooded. Seas are tremendous. Things look bad. Crew roll is about the same as last payday.
-A.R. Sadon, purser
The SS Milwaukee now rests in 125 feet of water four miles east of Whitefish Bay with her bow facing southwest, confirming the ship had turned back towards Milwaukee harbor, exposing her low stern to the worst of the “tremendous” sea reported in the purser’s note.
Stripped of her upperworks, the wreck is a tangle of exploded deck gear, hull plates, and rail cars. The damaged sea gate (a four-foot highbarrier designed to prevent a following sea from swamping the cardeck) hangs wrenched from the stern, twisted in a crude “W” shape.
Erected by Wisconsin Historical Society, University of Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Coastal Management Program.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails series list.
Location. 43° 1.921′ N, 87° 53.884′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker can be reached from E Chicago Street 0.1 miles from North Harbor Drive. Marker is located along the lake shore inside Maier Festival Park grounds, east of the main entrance at the end of East Chicago Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milwaukee WI 53202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Milwaukee's Changing Lakefront (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hansen Storage Co. Warehouse #2 (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Milwaukee Cargo Pier (approx. 0.4 miles away); Blessed Virgin of Pompeii Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); A.W. Rich Shoe Co. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Phoenix Knitting Co. Plant #4 (approx. 0.4 miles away); S. Heller Elevator Company (approx. 0.4 miles away); Standard Bedding Co. (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
Also see . . .
1. Wisconsin Ship Wrecks. (Submitted on April 4, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.)
2. Wisconsin Maritime Trails. (Submitted on April 4, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 30, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,359 times since then and 60 times this year. Last updated on May 10, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on March 30, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.