Chippewa Falls in Chippewa County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1700 a French explorer Pierre LeSueur, discovered the Spring and recorded in his journal how he heard the legend of Hiawatha. American poet Ezra Pound later used this as the basis of a poem celebrating Chippewa Spring water as the love potion with which Hiawatha wooed the beautiful Minnehaha.
In 1887, Wisconsin Governor Thaddeus Pound became convinced it was Chippewa Spring water that had restored his health. He bought the surrounding land and turned it into a farm complete with vineyards, gardens, walking paths and a health club. Chippewa Spring Water was shipped coast to coast on railroad dining cars and became the
"Save the 100 year old Spring House" became a restoration project in 1993 and was undertaken jointly by the company and the community to preserve this historic landmark. Complete with glass floor, underground lighting and trillium pathway, this famous spring house was rededicated by Wisconsin Governor Tommy Thompson during the Chippewa Falls' Pure Water Days celebration, 100 years to the day of its original dedication. The restored historic white spring house is located directly across the street.
Chippewa County Historical Society Marker Sign #15
Erected by the Chippewa County Historical Society. (Marker Number 15.)
Location. 44° 55.805′ N, 91° 22.728′ W. Marker is in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, in Chippewa County. Marker is on East Park Avenue (County Highway J) 0.1 miles west of Industrial Boulevard, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 600 East Park Avenue, Chippewa Falls WI 54729, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Yellowstone Trail (approx. ¼ mile away); Reverend Charles F.X. Goldsmith (approx. 0.6 miles away); Notre Dame Church Old McDonell High School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hiram Stores Allen (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Marsh Rainbow Arch Bridge (approx. 0.7 miles away); Oldest Commercial Building in Chippewa Falls (approx. ¾ mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chippewa Falls.
Also see . . . Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. Wikipedia entry. "A Spring House was built over the original spring in 1893 and remains today, across from the modern water bottling plant on Park Ave." (Submitted on May 11, 2011.)
Categories. • Natural Features •
More. Search the internet for Chippewa Springs.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 785 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 11, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.