Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Goshen in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

1841 Courthouse

 
 
1841 Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Clifton Patrick, November 30, 2009
1. 1841 Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  Erected in 1841, this building served as courthouse until 1970. Designed by Thornton M. Niven, if reflects the Greek Revival in architecture that produced man fine buildings.
 
Erected 1977 by Goshen Chamber of Business & Industry.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsNotable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1841.
 
Location. 41° 24.165′ N, 74° 19.302′ W. Marker is in Goshen, New York, in Orange County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (New York State Route 207) and Court Lane, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Maker is mounted on the left front corner of the 1841 Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Main St, Goshen NY 10924, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Claudius Smith (a few steps from this marker); In Memory of the Patriots (within shouting distance of this marker); Orange County Community College (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Track (within shouting distance of this marker); Lawyer's Row
1841 Courthouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Clifton Patrick, November 30, 2009
2. 1841 Courthouse and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Goshen Half-ShireTown (about 300 feet away); Charles J. Everett Memorial (about 500 feet away); Noah Webster (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goshen.
 
Regarding 1841 Courthouse. This structure is the twin to the 1841 "Old City Courthouse" by Thornton M. Niven at 123 Grand Street, Newbugh, NY and houses City of Newburgh Historian.

Current occupants of the 1841 Courthouse are the Orange County Historian and the Orange County Genealogical Society.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. The 1841 "Old City Courthouse" by Thornton M. Niven in Newbugh, NY.
 
1841 Courthouse Marker being moved image. Click for full size.
By Clifton Patrick, May 25, 2011
3. 1841 Courthouse Marker being moved
1841 Courthouse Marker has been removed while the building is undergoing renovations. Seen here, leaning loose against the front wall to the left of the entrance.
1841 Courthouse Marker relocated to just right of the main entrance following renovations. image. Click for full size.
By Clifton Patrick, June 4, 2017
4. 1841 Courthouse Marker relocated to just right of the main entrance following renovations.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 15, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2009, by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. This page has been viewed 1,208 times since then and 13 times this year. Last updated on May 15, 2011, by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 30, 2009, by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States.   3. submitted on May 27, 2011, by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States.   4. submitted on June 9, 2017, by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=42439

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2021