Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
La Grange in Stanislaus County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Saint Louis Mission

 
 
Saint Louis Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, May 19, 2011
1. Saint Louis Mission Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1852 by the French inhabitants of the Township of La Grange and dedicated by the Catholic Church in 1854 as a mission.

It is the first church of any denomination in Stanislaus County.
 
Erected 1981 by Morrado Parlor No.199, Native Daughters of the Golden West.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
 
Location. 37° 39.737′ N, 120° 27.687′ W. Marker is in La Grange, California, in Stanislaus County. Marker can be reached from Flota Road west of Yosemite Boulevard (California Highway 132), on the right when traveling west. Marker is located just inside the entrance to the Mission property. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: La Grange CA 95329, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old La Grange Schoolhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Trading Post (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
La Grange Saloon (about 600 feet away); The Old Jail (about 600 feet away); La Grange (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named La Grange (about 600 feet away); The Old Barn – First Adobe Building (about 700 feet away); LaFayette Historical Lodge #65 (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Grange.
 
More about this marker. The church building is located at the rear of the mission cemetery.
 
Regarding Saint Louis Mission. The Saint Louis Mission Church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 24, 1979.
 
Also see . . .  Saint Louis Mission. A short article and photo by Malakoff.com. (Submitted on May 19, 2011.) 
 
Saint Louis Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, May 19, 2011
2. Saint Louis Mission Marker
Saint Louis Mission Marker and Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, May 19, 2011
3. Saint Louis Mission Marker and Cemetery
The church building can be seen in the background. This view is the rear of the building.
Front of the Church Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, May 19, 2011
4. Front of the Church Building
Saint Louis Mission Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, May 19, 2011
5. Saint Louis Mission Church
Saint Louis Mission Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, May 19, 2011
6. Saint Louis Mission Church
Approach to the church building - Rear of building.
Saint Louis Mission Sign image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Kindig, May 22, 2016
7. Saint Louis Mission Sign
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 897 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 19, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   7. submitted on May 23, 2016, by Michael Kindig of Elk Grove, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=42565

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024