Northfield in Franklin County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Nathanial Dickinson House
1630 - 1930
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony -Tercentenary Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • War, French and Indian. In addition, it is included in the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers series list.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 42° 42.943′ N, 72° 26.871′ W. Marker was in Northfield, Massachusetts, in Franklin County. Marker could be reached from U.S. 10. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Northfield MA 01360, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. First Settlement (approx. 1.9 miles away); King Philip's Hill (approx. 2.6 miles away); Indian Council Fires (approx. 3.8 miles away); Captain Richard Beers (approx. 4 miles away); Deacon Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort Lieut. Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort (approx. 4˝ miles away); Hinsdale and the Power of the Ashuelot (approx. 5.1 miles away in New Hampshire); The Story of Anadromous Fish (approx. 5.1 miles away in New Hampshire). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Northfield.
More about this marker. The location of this marker was near Pachaug Hill in Northfield, where there now stands a monument to commemorate the 1747 Indian massacre of the Dickinson party.
1. The Line of Forts
This marker was placed at the site of one the forts established by Governor William Shirley, along the northern border of Massachusetts, as a defense against the French and their Indian allies. Construction of these forts or fortified houses immediately preceded the French & Indian War (1754-1763).
These frontier fortifications of the Massachusetts Bay Colony were the subject of a 2006 publication titled The Line of Forts (Historical Archaeology on the Colonial Frontier of Massachusetts) by Michael D. Coe (http://www.upne.com/1-58465-542-9.html).
— Submitted May 23, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 22, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 929 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 22, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.