Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Greensboro in Greene County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Greene County

 
 
Greene County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 14, 2011
1. Greene County Marker
Inscription.  This County, created by Act of the Legislature Feb. 3, 1786, is named for Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene, the strategist who ranked second only to Gen. Washington. Born in Rhode Island in 1742, he died at his Georgia plantation in 1786. Seven miles north of Greensboro lies Penfield named for Josiah Penfield of Savannah who started the Fund to establish Mercer Institute there in 1833. The Institute was named for Jesse Mercer, leading Baptist divine of Georgia at that time. It received a Legislative Charter as Mercer University in 1837 and was moved to Macon after the War.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 066-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 33° 34.59′ N, 83° 10.944′ W. Marker is in Greensboro, Georgia, in Greene County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and Court Street, on the right when traveling north on North
Greene County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 14, 2011
2. Greene County Marker
Looking north on North Main Street
Main Street. The marker stands at the south edge of the Greene County Courthouse lawn. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greensboro GA 30642, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Commissioner of Agriculture (a few steps from this marker); William C. Dawson (a few steps from this marker); Old Greene County "Gaol" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sheriff L. L. Wyatt (about 400 feet away); The Burning of Greensborough (about 500 feet away); Bishop George Foster Pierce (about 600 feet away); Unknown Confederate Dead (approx. 0.4 miles away); Historic Springfield Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greensboro.
 
Greene County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 14, 2011
3. Greene County Marker
The marker and the Greene County Courthouse
Greene County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 14, 2011
4. Greene County Courthouse
Built in 1849
Greene County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 14, 2011
5. Greene County Courthouse
The front door of the Courthouse, with markers on either side
Greene County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 14, 2011
6. Greene County Courthouse
A marker on the left of the courthouse door, commemorating the building of the courthouse in 1849 and its remodeling in 1938. The marker was likely installed in 1938.
Greene County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 14, 2011
7. Greene County Courthouse
On the right of the front door of the Courthouse is a marker stating that the Courthouse has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 550 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 26, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 24, 2021