Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lewisburg in Union County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Underground Railroad

 
 
Underground Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Crumlish, June 5, 2011
1. Underground Railroad Marker
Inscription.  This old stable was a station on the Underground Railroad. Here fugitive slaves were hidden, fed, and aided in reaching the next station on their journey.
 
Erected 1954 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Abolition & Underground RR. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list.
 
Location. 40° 57.61′ N, 76° 52.907′ W. Marker is in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, in Union County. Marker is on University Avenue, 0.1 miles south of St. George Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 38 University Avenue, Lewisburg PA 17837, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civil War Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ludwig Derr (about 500 feet away); Robert Lowry (about 500 feet away); Bucknell University World War I Memorial (about 700 feet away); Union County (approx. ¼ mile away); Moore Avenue
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. ¼ mile away); Lewisburg Witness Tree (approx. ¼ mile away); History of the Lewisburg Cemetery Office (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewisburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. Union County Historical Society: Bliss-McClure House & Carriage House in Lewisburg, PA. (Submitted on June 15, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
2. Underground Railroad - Behind the Marker. ExplorePAHistory.com (Submitted on July 21, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.) 
 
Wide view of the Underground Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Crumlish, June 5, 2011
2. Wide view of the Underground Railroad Marker
Bliss-McClure Carriage House (1854) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Crumlish, June 5, 2011
3. Bliss-McClure Carriage House (1854)
The carriage house beside the Bliss-McClure house is the only recognized stop on the Underground Railroad in Union County.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 15, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,090 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 15, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=43447

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 13, 2024