Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Vernon in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Dodges Corners Cemetery

 
 
Dodges Corners Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul F, November 9, 2010
1. Dodges Corners Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  John Dodge, one of Vernon’s four founding fathers, settled on this land in the fall of 1836. He purchased the land from the Federal government Sept. 20, 1838. Dodge made his home here until his death Aug. 29, 1858. The cemetery was established as a small family burial ground. Later many early Vernon settlers were laid to rest here. Dodges Corners Cemetery Association ran the cemetery in its active years. It is now cared for by the Town of Vernon.
 
Erected 1998 by Funded by Big Bend/Vernon Historical Society / Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 31-01.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is September 20, 1838.
 
Location. 42° 51.565′ N, 88° 14.67′ W. Marker is in Vernon, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is on Maple Avenue, 0.2 miles east of Center Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Big Bend WI 53103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Vernon (approx. 1.6 miles away); Village of Big Bend
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 2.2 miles away); Maney Ridge Prehistoric Effigy Mounds (approx. 2½ miles away); Haseltine Cobblestone House (approx. 3 miles away); Heaven City (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Reformed Presbyterian Church of Vernon (approx. 4.1 miles away); Mukwonago (approx. 4.4 miles away); South Shore Cars Come to East Troy (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vernon.
 
Additional commentary.
1. History of Dodges Corners Cemetery
John Dodge came to the Town of Vernon in 1836 purchasing land for $1.25 an acre, making him one of four founding fathers of the Town of Vernon. A small cemetery was founded here in 1840 for about 31 burials between 1840 and 1919. John Dodge was buried here and has a large tombstone in the cemetery. In 1928 seven graves for the Hollister family were exhumed with the remains found going to the Milwaukee Forest Home Cemetery. Sometime after this, the cemetery fell into ruins with stones toppled and weeds overgrowing the area.

This small cemetery in the Town of Vernon, or Dodges Corners as it used to
Dodges Corners Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul F, November 9, 2010
2. Dodges Corners Cemetery Marker
be known, can be a challenge to find. The location of the cemetery is between residential properties on Maple Drive just before Forest Home Avenue. There are some wooden steps that lead up to a historical marker and stone marker somewhat hidden by bushes. Then a path through the woods and up a hill leads to a quiet cemetery with a great view of the adjacent homes and fields.

The cemetery was completely restored in 1998 for the state sesquicentennial by the people of the Town of Vernon. Coincidentally, the celebration on August 29, 1998 was exactly 140 years after John Dodge died in 1858.
    — Submitted June 4, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.
 
Dodges Corners Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul F, November 9, 2010
3. Dodges Corners Cemetery
Dodges Corners Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul F, November 9, 2010
4. Dodges Corners Cemetery
Dodges Corners Cemetery Stone Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Linda Hansen, 2009
5. Dodges Corners Cemetery Stone Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,451 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on June 20, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 15, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.   5. submitted on June 4, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=43588

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024