Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Paris in Bourbon County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Eades Tavern

 
 
Eades Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Forest McDermott, May 7, 2011
1. Eades Tavern Marker
Inscription.  This log building lined with adz-hewn cherry was built as a tavern. In 1795 it became first post office in Paris. Thomas Eades then served as tavern owner and postmaster. Robert Trimble had home and law office here before becoming U.S. Supreme Court justice, 1826. It became site of Lizzie Walker's private school. Listed on National Register of Historic Places, 1973.
 
Erected 1988 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1824.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceWomen. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1795.
 
Location. 38° 12.736′ N, 84° 15.077′ W. Marker is in Paris, Kentucky, in Bourbon County. Marker is on High Street (U.S. 460), on the right when traveling south. Marker is in the front yard of the tavern. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 421 High Street, Paris KY 40361, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Holmes McGuffey (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Bourbon County World War I Monument (about 300 feet away); Duncan Tavern (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Duncan Tavern (about 400 feet away); Bourbon County, 1786 (about 400 feet away); Bourbon County Vietnam Veterans Memorial (about 500 feet away); John Edwards 1748-1837 / Westwood (about 500 feet away); Bourbon County Revolutionary War Memorial (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
 
Additional keywords. NRHP
 
Eades Tavern with the marker on the left image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Forest McDermott, May 7, 2011
2. Eades Tavern with the marker on the left
Tablet describing building as first Paris Post Office image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Forest McDermott, May 7, 2011
3. Tablet describing building as first Paris Post Office
Tablet is at the bottom of the steps leading to the tavern at sidewalk level.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2011, by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,023 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 20, 2011, by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=43626

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 24, 2024