Allendale in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Van Houten-Yeomans Homestead
John H. Van Houten came to this neighborhood in 1792 and later purchased land. His son, Paul J. Van Houten, built this farmhouse about 1869 on family acreage. In 1870 he willed it to his daughter, Margaret Ann, the wife of John L. Yeomans, a farmer. Later, the Van Houten-Yeoman farm was divided into house lots which contributed to the growth of Allendale. The farmhouse remained in the family until 1955.
Erected by Bergen County Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society series list.
Location. 41° 1.903′ N, 74° 8.013′ W. Marker is in Allendale, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of W. Allendale Avenue and Delta Court, on the right when traveling east on W. Allendale Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Allendale Veterans Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); The Valentine Homestead (approx. one mile away); Ackerman – Pell House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Saddle River 9 – 11 Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away); David Van Gelder House (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Ackerman House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Master Sergeant Charles E. Hosking, Jr. Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away); North Gate (approx. 1.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,095 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.