Ramsey in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
David Van Gelder House
Built by David Van Gelder after his marriage in 1794. Located in the area once called “Brabant”, the land was purchased twice – c. 1737 and 1745 – by grandfather Abraham to insure valid title from the proprietors of East New Jersey. It included most of nearby Van Gelder’s Pond. Inherited by David’s son Abraham B. in 1845, he willed it to his sister Pernelphe, a farmer, in 1876. The house remained in the Van Gelder family name until 1884.
Erected by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 104.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society series list.
Location. 41° 2.596′ N, 74° 9.826′ W. Marker is in Ramsey, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on W. Crescent Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located on W. Crescent Avenue between Wyckoff Avenue and Van Gelder Court. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Ackerman House (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Valentine Homestead (approx. one mile away); Van Houten-Yeomans Homestead (approx. 1.8 miles away); Master Sergeant Charles E. Hosking, Jr. Memorial (approx. 1.9 miles away); Allendale Veterans Monument (approx. 1.9 miles away); Old Stone House (approx. 2.3 miles away); Van Voorhees – Quackenbush – Zabriskie House (approx. 2.4 miles away); Franklin Lakes United Methodist Church (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ramsey.
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,038 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.