Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cueto Boarding House
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 2003.
Location. 27° 58.004′ N, 82° 26.719′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is at the intersection of East Columbus Drive and North 13th Street on East Columbus Drive. The boarding house is located within the V.M. Ybor neighborhood of the City of Tampa, and is also part of the Ybor City Historic District (a National Historic Landmark District). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1301 East Columbus Drive, Tampa FL 33605, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. El Circulo Cubano (approx. 0.3 miles away); Attempt On The Life Of Jose Marti (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old People's Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); La Quinta (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cherokee Club and El PasajeFounding of the Cigar Industry in Tampa (approx. 0.4 miles away); José Martí (approx. 0.4 miles away); George Washington Junior High School (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on the front of the building, just to the right when facing the front entry door.
Regarding Cueto Boarding House. The Cueto Boarding House (also known as the Cueto-Fernandez Boarding House) is a restored, two-story brick building and one of the few remaining examples of the boarding houses that were once common in the area. These buildings were used to lodge newly arrived cigar factory workers in the Ybor City neighborhood. It was originally built in 1909.
Originally located five blocks west and one block south, at the corner of East 14th Avenue and North 18th Street, the building found itself in the way of construction to widen of Interstate 4. Very carefully, the two-story structure was lifted off its foundation and placed on a large rolling platform, which was then towed to the building's present location in 2003. A restoration project for the building then commenced and was finally completed in 2008.
The structure currently provides residential services to homeless female veterans.
1. Wording on the marker profile
The use of incooperation has been taken verbatim from the marker.
— Submitted July 15, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 739 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 2, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.