Duchesne in Duchesne County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Explorers, trappers and traders were here before Brigham Young sent a group, in 1861, to prepare the way for Mormon colonization. But in October 1861 the U.S. Government set apart Uintah Valley for Indian Reservation. In 1905 a portion was opened for white settlement. June 6, 1905, A.M. Murdock daughter Dora, and Sogoosie Jack (Indian) with 52 men organized a town called Dora, later Theodore, then Duchesne. This bell was used for school, church, curfew and as a fire alarm for many years.
Erected 1955 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 207.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 6, 1951.
Location. 40° 9.814′ N, 110° 24.21′ W. Marker is in Duchesne, Utah, in Duchesne County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (U.S. 40)Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Duchesne UT 84021, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Rose Philippine Duchesne (approx. half a mile away); Father Escalante (approx. half a mile away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2011, by Jack Duffy of West Jordan, Utah. This page has been viewed 749 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2011, by Jack Duffy of West Jordan, Utah. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?