Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Riverdale in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Bethsaida Baptist Church and Cemetery

 
 
Bethsaida Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, May 26, 2002
1. Bethsaida Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  Bethsaida Baptist Church, formed in 1829, was led by itinerant preachers traveling in the area. In April, 1843, John S. Dodd, was called to pastor the church on a permanent basis. He faithfully served the church for 50 years, retiring January 25, 1892.

The original wooden structure was built in 1829, on this site. In 1864, Union forces occupied the church as a headquarters, even used the pews as horse troughs. This sanctuary burned in 1954. A new building was built across the street and dedicated in 1955. Growth during the next 20 years necessitated building additions. Capitol View Baptist Church, located on Stewart Avenue in Atlanta was also experiencing growth. In 1975, the two congregations, eager to overcome their challenges and continue their ministries, merged to form one church with two locations -- United Baptist Church. Reverend William E. Cropper pastored both locations for the next 21 years. By the 1990`s decreasing membership and financial support caused the Bethsaida location to close its doors on December 29, 1996.

The Bethsaida Baptist Church Cemetery has graves dating from the 1800`s. The church never charged
Bethsaida Baptist Church and Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 2, 2011
2. Bethsaida Baptist Church and Cemetery Marker
Looking east on Bethsaida Road; the sign for the Fulton-Clayton County border can be seen in the distance.
Click or scan to see
this page online
a fee for burial plots, so the cemetery was popular with the community. Lacking space, no plots have been deeded since the late 1970`s. Cemetery use is restricted to families who already have plots. United Baptist Church completed minimal restoration in 1997 before deeding the cemetery to a board of trustees.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is January 25, 1812.
 
Location. 33° 33.601′ N, 84° 27.561′ W. Marker is near Riverdale, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is on Bethsaida Road, 0 miles west of Bethsaida Drive, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2110 Bethsaida Rd, Riverdale GA 30296, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Howard's March to Jonesboro (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); 14th A.C. at Shoal Creek Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Site: Shoal Cr. Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Renfroe's Plantation (approx. 2.7 miles away); Site of Couch House (approx. 2.9 miles away); Baird’s Div., 14th A.C. (approx. 3.4 miles away); Site: Marcus Long House (approx. 3.4 miles away); Site: The Mann House (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Riverdale.
 
Bethsaida Baptist Church and Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 2, 2011
3. Bethsaida Baptist Church and Cemetery Marker
The marker and the former Bethsaida Baptist Church building, now the Christians for Change Baptist Church
The Marker and the Bethsaida Baptist Church Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 2, 2011
4. The Marker and the Bethsaida Baptist Church Cemetery
The Bethsaida Baptist Church Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 2, 2011
5. The Bethsaida Baptist Church Cemetery
The Bethsaida Baptist Church Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 2, 2011
6. The Bethsaida Baptist Church Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,841 times since then and 68 times this year. Last updated on July 3, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1. submitted on August 30, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 3, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=44063

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 11, 2022