West Nyack in Rockland County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Ancient Indian trails intersected at this place adjoining a large Indian village which extended to the Hackensack Creek. Early in the 18th century the De Clark family built a gristmill on these premises, scene of the last witchcraft trial in New York state c. 1816. The hamlet surrounding the De Clark farm was called Clarkstown. In 1870 George Washington and his troops encamped on the drill grounds east of the mill pond.
Erected by Historical Society of Rockland County.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Native Americans • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the New York, Historical Society of Rockland County series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1816.
Location. 41° 6.235′ N, 73° 58.349′ W. Marker is in West Nyack, New York, in Rockland County. Marker is at the intersection of Strawtown Road and Germonds Road (County Route 27), on the left when traveling north on Strawtown Road. Marker is at the southwest corner of the intersection. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pye's Corner (here, next to this marker); Washington’s Encampment (within shouting distance of this marker); Clarkstown Reformed Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); West Nyack World War I Memorial (about 800 feet away); The Old Parsonage (approx. 0.2 miles away); West Nyack's Last Horse Trough (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of the First Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of New Hempstead (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Clarkstown Reformed Church Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Nyack.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,235 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.