Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Poland in Mahoning County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Old Cemetery

 
 
Old Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., June 12, 2011
1. Old Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  
The land for this cemetery was given to Poland in the year 1804 by Turhand Kirtland who came from Wallingford, Connecticut. As agent for the Connecticut Land Company he surveyed much of this Western Reserve territory. In his grant he also included lands for the village green.

The Samuel K. Hine will bequeathed in 1962 provides for the maintenance of both the Old Cemetery and the Green.

This marker erected August, 1966
 
Erected 1966.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionPatriots & PatriotismSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1804.
 
Location. 41° 1.157′ N, 80° 36.54′ W. Marker is in Poland, Ohio, in Mahoning County. Marker is on Hine Circle near Main Street (Ohio Route 170), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 Poland Manor, Youngstown OH 44514, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Judge Turhand Kirtland (a few steps from this marker); The Village Green and Graveyard/Poland Presbyterian Church
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Four Heroic Chaplains (approx. ¼ mile away); Poland Village / Poland Town Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); President William McKinley's Boyhood Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Poland Academy and Poland Seminary (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Old Stone Tavern (approx. 0.4 miles away); Poland Village Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Poland.
 
Also see . . .  Turhand Kirtland. (Submitted on July 5, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Old Cemetery and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., June 12, 2011
2. Old Cemetery and Marker
Judge Turhand Kirtland Grave Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr.
3. Judge Turhand Kirtland Grave Marker
In Poland Village Cemetery, adjacent to Poland Presbyterian Church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 594 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on June 26, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=44227

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024