Madison in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Gilbert G. White Jr. was a descendant of John White, Speaker of the US House of Representatives circa 1838. Gilbert G. White Jr. was the great grandson of Colonel James White, entrepreneur and frontier industrialist from Abington, VA. On December 24, 1824 Col. James White founded the town of Whitesburg, AL south of Huntsville on the Tennessee River. Whitesburg was burned by Union troops during the Civil War and never rebuilt.
This stone marker, "White Hall" was removed in 1963 from the White Family Law Office building located on the west side of the courthouse square, Huntsville, AL, Madison County.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is December 24, 1824.
Location. 34° 44.337′ N, 86° 44.52′ W. Marker is in Madison, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker can be reached from Whitehall Road west of Hughes Road, in the Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison AL 35758, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lee Mansion (approx. 1.8 miles away); James Henry Bibb (approx. 2.9 miles away); Pension Row (approx. 3.1 miles away); Trail of Tears (approx. 3.1 miles away); "The Roundhouse" (approx. 3.1 miles away); Affair at Madison Station / Affair at Indian Creek Ford (approx. 3.1 miles away); Madison County Veterans (approx. 3.1 miles away); Oakwood College (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,052 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 6, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.