South Nyack in Rockland County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Built in 1854 for A. J. Storms of the Storms Tub & Pail Factory. 1875-1882 home of Edwin Stillwell, Captain of the Nyack-Tarrytown Ferry. Purchased 1885 by the Couch Family. Dr. Louis Couch used the tower for his Homeopathic practice. Daughter Natalie, a law clerk for Judge Arthur S. Tompkins, became the County’s 1st woman attorney. “Couch Court” served as law offices and Town Hall of Orangetown from 1942-1951.
Erected by The Historical Society of Rockland County.
Marker series. This marker is included in the New York, Historical Society of Rockland County marker series.
Location. 41° 5.347′ N, 73° 55.135′ W. Marker is in South Nyack, New York, in Rockland County. Marker is at the intersection of S Broadway and Depew Avenue, on the right when traveling south on S Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nyack NY 10960, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Memorial Park (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Reformed Church of Nyack Nyack First Settlement (about 500 feet away); Bench by the Road: Cynthia Hesdra (about 500 feet away); Carson McCullers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hopper House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Underground Railroad (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Historic Underground Railroad (approx. 0.6 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Women •
More. Search the internet for Couch Court.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 6, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 581 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 6, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.