Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
The State of Maryland
In honored recognition of the historic valor
of her sons who in Blue and Gray, nobly
sustained the martial glory of their
fathers in the military operations around
Chattanooga in the war for the union.
1861 - 1865
The proud heritage bequeathed to worthy
sons of illustrious sires arose, phoenix-like,
from the fierce fraternal strife,
redeemed and regenerated, and now and
forever, victor and vanquished, are
indissolubly united, knowing but one
God, one country, one destiny.
[Right/North Side of Marker]:
which it belonged, was assigned the arduous
and important duties of holding the
Nashville and Chattanooga Railroad from
Wartrace Bridge, Tenn., to Bridgeport, Ala.
The possession and keeping open of this
railroad was of the highest strategical
importance constituting the main line
of communication of the armies operating
around Chattanooga under Gen. Grant
achievements that culminated in the
defeat of Gen. Bragg's army in its
seemingly impregnable position on
Missionary Ridge November 25th, 1863.
Veteran Volunteer Infantry
Col. Joseph M. Sudsburg.
[Back/West Side of Marker]:
The General Assembly
session of 1902
John Walter Smith Governor
Benj. F. Taylor, U.S. Vols. President
William L. Ritter, C.S. Vols. Vice-President
J.Leonard Hoffman, U.S. Vols. Secretary
William Stahl, U.S. Vols. Treasurer
John R. King, U.S. Vols. Marshal
Thos. L. Cannon, U.S. Vols. Transportation
Chas. W. Hull, U.S. Vols. Transportation
[Left/South Side of Marker]:
was assigned to the right of Bragg's line
on Missionary Ridge. Arriving shortly
after 2 o'clock p.m. of Novemember 25th.
It was assigned to and went into position
on the crest of the ridge immediately
south of the tunnel where Stevenson's
Division supported Gen. Cleburne in
defending his position against the
After Gen. Bragg's line had been broken
on the left and centre, this battery,
together with its division, withdrew
under fire in good order, toward
[Lower Left/South Side of Marker]:
Captain John B. Rowan
1st Lieut. William L. Ritter
Erected 1903 by The State of Maryland. (Marker Number MT197-98.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Orchard Knob Reservation series list.
Location. 35° 2.382′ N, 85° 16.437′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on Orchard Knob Avenue north of Ivy Street, on the left when traveling north. This historical marker is located in the middle of a residential neighborhood, in the city of Chattanooga, a little less than a mile west of Missionary Ridge. It is situated on the crest of the Orchard Knob Reservation, National Military Park and is positioned at the end of the pathway that leads to Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37404, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Chattanooga. (here, next to this marker); Field Headquarters of the Union Armies (here, next to this marker); Illinois State Monument (a few steps from this marker); Confederate Casualties (a few steps from this marker); Union Casualties (a few steps from this marker); Bridges' Battery, Illinois Light Artillery (a few steps from this marker); New York Monument (a few steps from this marker); Fourth Army Corps (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “15' x 12' at base & 30' high, the smooth-faced granite monument has a 3-step base, circular pedestal, and an eclectic column with band halfway up, all supporting a stone sculpture of a flag-bearing soldier."
Also see . . . National Park Service List of Classified Structures. This is a link to information provided by the National Park Service regarding this particular monument. (Submitted on August 29, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 8, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 568 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on July 9, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.