White Springs in Hamilton County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Residents of White Springs
Florida's native Timucuan Indians lived for hundreds of generations in what is now north Florida and southeast Georgia. Beginning in the 1580s, they were organized into mission villages by Spanish Franciscan priests. While exploitation and epidemics caused native populations to decline, the destruction of Spanish missions early in the eighteenth century by the Carolina militia and their Native American allies also caused the scattering and enslavement of the remaining native populations.
Some of these Native Americans raiders remained and settled in the Timucua's abandoned fields and settlements. Other groups, mainly Creek Indians, left their home territories and relocated in northern Florida. These different tribes, along with runaway slaves from the southern states, became known as the cimarrones, a Spanish word meaning “wild and untamed.” The cimerrones or Seminoles, as they became known, established villages on the east and west sides of the Suwannee River.
After Florida was acquired as a US Territory in 1821, waves of settlers from Georgia and the Carolinas immigrated to north central Florida. While
With the development and marketing of the mineral spring in the mid-1800s as a tourist destination, new residents were also able to invest and find employment in the town's hotels, restaurants, and service-related businesses.
Today, the residents of White Springs are a combination of recent arrivals and descendants of the original settlers who continue to practice family traditions.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1821.
Location. 30° 19.731′ N, 82° 45.535′ W. Marker is in White Springs, Florida, in Hamilton County. Marker is on Bridge Street (State Road 136) north of River Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: White Springs FL 32096, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Welcome to the White Springs Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Florida’s Original Tourist Destination (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Agriculture Industry in White Springs (about 400 feet away); White Sulphur SpringsWhite Springs (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wars and Conflicts in White Springs (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Historic Architecture of White Springs (approx. 0.3 miles away); Florida Honors and Remembers our POW’s and MIA’s (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in White Springs.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 885 times since then and 90 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 14, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.