Brookville in Franklin County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Old Brookville Church and Cemetery
was built by Methodists 1820.
It was occupied by
Methodists 1821 - 1839
Presbyterians 1839 - 1855
Lutherans 1855 - 1922
Baptists since 1953
Many Brookville early settlers are buried in this cemetery including four Revolutionary Soldiers and a signer of Indiana’s first Constitution.
Erected 1963 by Twin Forks Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1820.
Location. 39° 25.512′ N, 85° 0.589′ W. Marker is in Brookville, Indiana, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of East 10th Street and John Street, on the right when traveling east on East 10th Street. Located at the gate of the Old Brookville Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brookville IN 47012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Brown Ray (within shouting distance of this marker); Brookville College (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brookville's Grandstand (about 400 feet away); The Purple Heart (about 400 feet away); Brookville's Carnegie Library (about 800 feet away); Goodwin Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Hermitage (approx. 0.3 miles away); Brookville Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brookville.
Regarding Old Brookville Church and Cemetery. The Church yet holds service to date. While locating and photographing this marker we noted the public was gathering for Church Service. The Minister was just arriving - and invited us to come on in for "The Service"! ! All were quite friendly!
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 754 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 18, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.