Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Medford in Burlington County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Ely Hall

 
 
Ely Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 17, 2011
1. Ely Hall Marker
Inscription.  Dr. Henry P. Ely built the house about 1844. The mansard roof was added after a fire in 1893. This 2 and ½ story home shows fine workmanship both inside and outside the building.
 
Erected by Medford Historic Advisory Board. (Marker Number 35.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureScience & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1844.
 
Location. 39° 54.084′ N, 74° 49.426′ W. Marker is in Medford, New Jersey, in Burlington County. Marker is at the intersection of N Main Street (County Route 541) and Cedar Street, on the right when traveling south on N Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 40 N Main Street, Medford NJ 08055, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Dr. George Haines House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dr. Josiah Reeve House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Weeks-Bowker House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Sears Roebuck House (about 400 feet away); The Joseph Allen House
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 400 feet away); The P.M. & M. Railroad (about 500 feet away); Milton Allen’s School (about 600 feet away); The Stacy Prickett House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medford.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Sites in Medford, NJ. West Jersey History Project website. (Submitted on July 18, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 
 
Ely Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 17, 2011
2. Ely Hall Marker
Marker in Medford image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 17, 2011
3. Marker in Medford
Ely Hall image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 17, 2011
4. Ely Hall
The mansard roof mentioned on the marker can be seen in this photo. This architectural feature originated as a means of avoiding taxes, as houses were taxed on the number of stories and the roofline determined the top floor. The mansard roof begins at the second story, so the floor above it was not taxed.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 621 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 18, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=44717

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 17, 2024