Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dalton in Whitfield County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Blunt House

<-----<<<

 
 
The Blunt House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 14, 2011
1. The Blunt House Marker
Inscription.  This house, built in 1848 by Ainsworth Emery Blunt, pioneer settler of Dalton, has been continuously occupied by members of his family. Appointed postmaster of Cross Plains in 1845, Mr. Blunt was elected mayor when that town became Dalton in 1847 and served for many years. He was the moving spirit and founder of the First Presbyterian Church in 1847 and held office as ruling elder in that church until his death in 1865. While Federal troops were in possession of Dalton during the War Between the States, this house was used by them as a hospital.
 
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 155-30.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionGovernment & PoliticsSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
 
Location. 34° 45.998′ N, 84° 58.308′ W. Marker is in Dalton, Georgia, in Whitfield County. Marker is on South Thornton Avenue
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(U.S. 41) 0 miles north of West Emery Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 506 S Thornton Avenue, Dalton GA 30720, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 600 Block of McCamy Street (approx. ¼ mile away); William C. Martin House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Our Textile Legacy (approx. 0.3 miles away); Welcome to Dalton! (approx. 0.3 miles away); Campaign for Atlanta: Johnston's Review (approx. 0.4 miles away); George Whitefield (approx. 0.4 miles away); The McCarty Neighborhood (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Mechanization of the Bedspread Industry (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dalton.
 
Regarding The Blunt House. The house is now the headquarters of the Whitfield-Murray Historical Society.


The home was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
 
The Blunt House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 14, 2011
2. The Blunt House Marker
The Blunt House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 14, 2011
3. The Blunt House Marker
Looking north on South Thornton Street (US Highway 41) toward the Whitfield County Courthouse.
The Blunt House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 14, 2011
4. The Blunt House and Marker
The Blunt House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 14, 2011
5. The Blunt House
Built in 1848
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 769 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 18, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=44735

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024