Fountain City in Wayne County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
(Back Side): Coffin's Reminiscences (1876) documented work in Underground Railroad and antislavery movement.
The Underground Railroad refers to a widespread network of diverse people in the nineteenth century who aided slaves escaping to freedom from the southern U.S.
Erected 2002 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Levi Coffin House Association, Inc. (Marker Number 89.2002.1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Abolition & Underground RR. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers, the National Historic Landmarks, and the Quakerism series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
Location. 39° 57.373′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 113 Cross Street, Fountain City IN 47341, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Home of Levi Coffin (here, next to this marker); Fountain City Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Indiana University East (approx. 6.3 miles away); Whitewater Hall (approx. 6.3 miles away); The Four Boulders (approx. 6.9 miles away); Sgt William Brodrick (approx. 7.4 miles away in Ohio); Hollansburg Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.4 miles away in Ohio); Samuel McClure (approx. 7.4 miles away in Ohio). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fountain City.
Also see . . .
1. Levi Coffin Historic Site. The "Grand Central Station" for the Underground Railroad. (Submitted on January 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Reminiscences of Levi Coffin. Digital copy of the work. (Submitted on January 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. The Underground Railroad by Levi Coffin. A short account of Coffin's operations. (Submitted on January 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,799 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.