Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wytheville in Wythe County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Battle of Wytheville

St. Johnís Lutheran Church Cemetery

 
 
Battle of Wytheville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, May 28, 2011
1. Battle of Wytheville Marker
Inscription.  On July 13, 1863, Union Colonel John T. Toland led 872 officers and men of the 34th Regiment Mounted Ohio Volunteer Infantry from Camp Piatt, West Virginia, into Southwest Virginia to attack the railroads, telegraphs, and salt and lead mines essential to the Confederate cause. The number of casualties resulting from Tolandís raid on the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad in Wytheville, as well as the resting places of the Union dead, are uncertain. Northern newspapers claimed that 75 Southerners were killed, but the Confederates admitted to only two. Several Federals may have been buried here at St. Johnís Lutheran Church Cemetery.

Besides Toland, Union Capt. Dennis Delaney was killed. According to one Union report, in addition to the two officers, “9 brave men ... met death in their countryís service.” Federal Lt. Col. Freeman E. Franklin claimed 14 enlisted men died, but Confederate Gen. Samuel Jones reported “7 privates killed.” Confederate artillerist Maj. Thomas M. Bowyer, Jonesí chief of ordnance, wrote that besides Toland and Delaney, “nine others were left dead in the streets.” On
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
July 21, 1893, the 30th anniversary of the battle, an anonymous Wytheville Dispatch reporter wrote that “seven of the attacking forces lay in the streets dead” the following morning, and that “Colonel Toland and one other officer [were] buried at the Catholic cemetery, and the other Federal dead men were interred at the Lutheran cemetery, by St. Johnís Church.” According to the various reports, there are between seven and fourteen Union soldiers buried here.
 
Erected by Civil War Trails.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1772.
 
Location. 36° 57.702′ N, 81° 6.093′ W. Marker is in Wytheville, Virginia, in Wythe County. Marker is at the intersection of North 4th Street / Stony Fork Road (U.S. 52) and Exit 70 (Interstate 81), on the right when traveling north on North 4th Street / Stony Fork Road. Marker is north of the interstate. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wytheville VA 24382, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic St. John Lutheran Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Flohr House (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Johnís Lutheran Church
Marker and George Daniel Flohrís Log House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, May 28, 2011
2. Marker and George Daniel Flohrís Log House
The log house has been moved onto the church property. See nearby St. Johnís Lutheran Church marker for more information.
(within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Battle of Wytheville (approx. one mile away); Welcome to the Thomas J. Boyd Museum (approx. 1.2 miles away); LOVE (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Lynching of Raymond Byrd (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Haller-Gibboney Rock House (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wytheville.
 
More about this marker. Marker has a photograph of St. Johnís Lutheran Church on the lower left and a map of the church grounds and surrounding roads on the lower right.
 
Close Up of Map on Marker image. Click for full size.
3. Close Up of Map on Marker
St. Johnís Lutheran Church Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, May 28, 2011
4. St. Johnís Lutheran Church Cemetery
St. Johnís Lutheran Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, May 28, 2011
5. St. Johnís Lutheran Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,318 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 22, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=44881

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 22, 2024